Ragas: Indian Classical Music
What you’ll learn
Identify Raga Yaman, and similar ragas, in the songs.
Grasp the notes of the ragas which come in the Kalyana Family.
Develop interest in vocalizing the tunes of the Ragas.
Enjoy the Indian classical concerts with better understanding.
Vocalize the super fast improvisations of notes and ragas.
Perceive the Indian Classical music.
Heal yourself and others using Raga therapy.
- The course is about knowing and learning the basic or parent raga called ‘Kalyana‘. Kalyana is one of the ten parent raga in Indian classical Hindustani music which is explained in detail. This parent raga is the source of many other ragas like Yaman, Bhopali, Kedar, which are pretty much similar and extremely popular in the classical world. Students may find the course as ‘Raga-Yaman‘, or ‘Ragas in Kalyan’ to get familiar.
- Similar to the previous course, student need to download an app comprising of a tanpura (drone) and tabla (percussion).
- The course might take a month to get completed ideally, sufficient practices and repetitive renditions are expected even after the course for proper grasp and perfect intonation of the ragas.
- The course starts with the detailed description of what is a basic raga, then basic information and knowledge about ‘Kalyana Thata‘ and how the ragas are formed through the raga. One by one, students will learn the popular ragas: Yaman, Hansdhwani, Nand, Kedar, Bhopali, derived from kalyana in detail including Aalap, Bandish, taanas and so on.
- The course is interesting and engaging for the music lovers as the Yaman tunes can be easily identified and familiar in the casual music and Bollywood songs too. All the music lovers and enthusiasts should take this course in order to gain classical knowledge of basic ragas.
Who this course is for:
- This Raga course is more applicable for the students who have taken the beginner course in which Indian music has been indoctrinated from scratch. By pursuing the previous course you will have a better understanding of the fundamentals. It’s titled “Learn Indian Voice Music from the scratch to advance”
- This course is based on some of the basic ragas primarily the ragas of kalyana structure. If you are looking for some ragas in particular then you should see the course overview and check whether the raga you want is existing in it and according you take the course.
- What is a Thata or Parent Raga?
- Raga Yaman: Most famous raga in Kalyana category
- Raga Bhoopali: A Pentatonic Raga
- Raga Hansdhwani: Pleasant Raga in Kalyana Thata
- Raga Nand : Another mesmerizing raga in Kalyana
- Raga Kedar
- Let’s revise What We Learnt